Consequences of Not Paying Child Support

Consequences of Not Paying Child Support

There are serious consequences for not paying child support. Child support is for the benefit of the children. It is typically paid to the parent who has the primary custody over the children or the spouse who earns substantially less than the other parent. Child support payments generally should be used to cover food, clothing and housing.

It is extremely important that all child support payments are made in a timely manner and that the amounts are paid in full per the court ordered documents. If you fail to make the payments on time and in the amounts specified, legal consequences may occur. It is very possible that the court may find you in contempt which can be classified as either civil or criminal. Consequences can include fines and/or jail time. Additional consequences can include losing your driving privileges, denial of tax refunds and garnishment of wages including unemployment or worker’s compensation benefits.

If you are having problems making your child support payments, you should not just ignore the problem. If you are having difficulties meeting your obligations, there are things that you need to do immediately:

The first thing that you want to do is to contact your child support enforcement agency and ask about a temporary payment plan. It is very important to do this so the child support enforcement agency does not think you just do not want to make your payments to your children. Making a small payment is much better than not making any payment at all.

After you have contacted the child support enforcement agency, you need to file a motion to modify your child support payments. The court may modify your child support payments if you can show that there has been a substantial change in circumstances since the entry of your child support order. A substantial change in circumstances can enclude a change in employment, changes to child custody agreements, economic or medical hardships.

If you have a child support issue, you should speak with a lawyer. Speak with your lawyer to discuss your options before your payments get too far behind.

By |2019-07-11T00:45:37-04:00September 20th, 2015|Child Support|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment